We set out with great intentions to resist the party foods, but what happens if we cheat when we are on the VLCD? Get back on track as soon as possible. You will be able to correct it if you do not let it get out of control.
The diet takes discipline, determination, and careful planning. I think careful planning may be the smartest thing we can teach. I will link some of my favorite to go recipes that kept me from cheating. According to Dr. Simeons, if you cheat you will have a 3-day plateau with no weight loss and possible gain. Expect this and be determined to stay on track. There are many who start this diet without reading Pounds and Inches and I can honestly say that will be your biggest mistake. You have to be mentally and emotionally ready for this diet whether doing the 23-day or the 40-day plans. There have been some that take interruptions and cycle but I would just caution that this kind of thinking can lead you to a slower weight loss pattern and more than likely stabilization issues.
Here are a few tips to get you back on track:
1. Immediately restart your 500-calorie diet and follow the strict protocol in Dr. Simeons Pounds and Inches
2. Make sure you are getting at least 2 liters of water a day and detox tea.
4. Stress can hinder your weight loss so relax and get plenty of rest.
5. The only acceptable correction day for Phase 2 is the Apple Day. The other correction/alternative correction days are for Phase 3 only. The Apple Day is intended by Dr. Simeons to correct stalls not cheats.
6. I always kept grissini in my car and an apple or orange in my purse. If I was away too long, they have saved me so many times. One of my favorite TO-GO lunches is the Apple Chicken Salad. This salad is perfect when I had a lunch meeting or was going to be gone from home for an extended time.
Protocol Refresher Course
Tea or coffee in any quantity without sugar. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours. Some eat their fruit mid-morning if they cannot make it to lunch.
1. 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the meat must be weighed raw. It must be boiled or grilled without additional fat. Salmon, eel, tuna, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed. The chicken must be removed from the bird.
2. One type of vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage.
3. One bread stick (grissini).
4. An apple, an orange, a handful of strawberries, or one-half grapefruit.
The same four choices as lunch.
There are many resources on our website and our Facebook support group has additional resources. Click here to join.